Hello all

Welcome to the Flying Tin Cans! Please post here if you are interested in joining us!
JustAWhisper

Hello all

Post by JustAWhisper »

Hi everyone.

I'm trying to get back into combat flight sims and saw one of Sherriff's Youtube videos about Flying Tin Cans and thought it looked pretty cool!

I am still in the process of getting up and running, and I'm not 100% sure I can commit to Sunday evenings quite yet anyways, but I wanted to connect since this seems like a really interesting community and hopefully I can join in a few weeks.

Currently I have all of the basics but there's room for improvement. I have a good PC. For controls I only have an old Logitech 3D Pro which works but is losing precision. I think it's good enough to get started, though, while I look at upgrade options. I also have a DelanClip headtracker.

Software wise I have Il2 Moscow, Stalingrad Premium, and I just picked up Kuban Premium since it's super cheap and that's what it looks like you're currently running. Is there anything else I should get while the sale is running, like any collector planes that are super valuable for the current campaign?

I'm an English speaker and don't have a preference for faction. Are there any mid-week training events or other group play options that I might be able to join at a lower commitment level?

Hope to see you in the skies soon!
Rostic
Captain
Captain

Re: Hello all

Post by Rostic »

Hello, welcome to FTC!
I'm an English speaker and don't have a preference for faction. Are there any mid-week training events or other group play options that I might be able to join at a lower commitment level?
Kuban campaign is currently on the brake for a holidays. The campaign will resume on the 08.01.2023 with a second act consisting of 6 missions. We will have a community discussion next year about an option to extend to 18 missions, ie third act.
But players are still flying from time to time, so you can just hop into TeamSpeak and someone will talk to you. Most active days are Thursday and Sunday after 18:00UTC. Also I think some funny events will take place on Sundays, while campaign on the brake.

TeamSpeak address: flyingtincans.com
PW: feenix
-> Set up Push-To-Talk

Please join our Disord server. It is main source of news and announcements. There is a channel "fly-out" where people searching pilots for random flying.
https://discord.gg/th3wJDuseJ
I am still in the process of getting up and running, and I'm not 100% sure I can commit to Sunday evenings quite yet anyways, but I wanted to connect since this seems like a really interesting community and hopefully I can join in a few weeks.
We do not have much rules, most of them are mostly recommendations, but there is one mandatory thing - members have to attend as many missions as possible. Attendance at 50% of missions is barely acceptable minimum. This is very important because campaign missions building process rely on predictable number of active pilots.
Currently I have all of the basics but there's room for improvement. I have a good PC. For controls I only have an old Logitech 3D Pro which works but is losing precision. I think it's good enough to get started, though, while I look at upgrade options. I also have a DelanClip headtracker.
I had same devices when I started flying these campaigns. If you like airsims and spend more than 4 hours each week I highly recommend to buy rudder pedals. They are a real game changer. I bought Logitech Flight Rudder Pedals and after a year still think they are worth to buy. When your Logitech 3D pro finally die get something more precise. Even T16000M is muuuuuuch more accurate.
Software wise I have Il2 Moscow, Stalingrad Premium, and I just picked up Kuban Premium since it's super cheap and that's what it looks like you're currently running. Is there anything else I should get while the sale is running, like any collector planes that are super valuable for the current campaign?
I think it is enough to start flying our campaign in one of our squadrons.
JustAWhisper

Post by JustAWhisper »

Thank you for the welcoming response. I understand the need for commitment. I will not ask to be scheduled until I know I can participate regularly. But I will definitely hop on the Discord and look for opportunities to fly with the community at informal times until I'm ready!
Dadnar
Junior Warrant Officer
Junior Warrant Officer

Post by Dadnar »

JustAWhisper wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:41 pm But I will definitely hop on the Discord and look for opportunities to fly with the community at informal times until I'm ready!
Our discord server is pretty limited until you become a member. The best way to fly casually with us is a to join our Teamspeak server(connection info above in Rostic's response). There are often people flying during European evenings. Thursdays are particularly good as we do some informal training/flyouts.

Looking forward to flying with you,

Dadnar
JustAWhisper

Post by JustAWhisper »

Hi, my life schedule is stabilizing and I wanted to re-inquire into joining.

I have tried to meet up with folks on TS a few times, but I always seem to miss when everyone is on. I joined the Discord, but I don't have any permissions and can't see when people are actually planning the fly-outs. Nevertheless, I got a VKB Gladiator and have been doing the occasional solo sortie on FVP, but it's been rough going without a group to fly with, but I've still been having fun.

I am now available most evenings (European time). I'm pretty much set up with equipment, though I'm still waiting on a VKB throttle quadrant to make complex engine management easier. I've been mostly flying Axis fighters in the meantime.

What is the next step for me now?
Spigot
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Spigot »

Hello!

I've checked your roles and you should be able to access the 'fly-out' channel where most casual weekly flights are announced.

There are some folk flying most EU evenings with the current TAW campaign, so I would recommend joining TS and hopping into 'pub' or 'flying club' if there are folk there. They'll get you going with some flying and myself, Dadnar or Passion will be in touch to talk through the campaign etc in more detail.

Otherwise, welcome and I look forward to seeing you in the sky!

Spigot
JustAWhisper

Post by JustAWhisper »

Thanks, Spigot. I can see the fly-out channel now and I'll try hopping on TS periodically.