Thank you for taking a look

Welcome to the Flying Tin Cans! Please post here if you are interested in joining us!
jaquar
Junior Warrant Officer
Junior Warrant Officer

Thank you for taking a look

Post by jaquar »

S!
I am seasoned Sim-Combat Pilot, and by seasoned, I mean very much sprinkled by the peppering of other pilots. I have been absolutely fascinated with the History of Air Combat, mostly WWI and into WWII. When I was young (many, many years ago...I remember when Cable TV came out), I would entertain myself with the fantasy of being able to be a WWII Pilot and actually fly against other people! I had no idea then that it would be possible on a Home Computer. Fast forward to 1992. I accidentally, somehow, graduated High School, and right after graduation decided to head West to San Diego to go see what was going on at MCRD there. Four years later, an Honorable Discharge, a little more grown up, and an ego the size of the Sun, I started a family. One of the first things we purchased was a home computer. I believe in 1997 I saw Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator on a shelf at a Kmart!! lol. Grabbed it and started enjoying it...and here I am today, still trying to win a dogfight.
I love the genre and I love the idea of simulating it. Sometimes I do OK. Most times I'm spending too much time trying to not get shot by the fella that always gets behind me, but I always have fun. I have opinions. I have personal thoughts on things, and I share those if I'm given the opportunity to.
I am confident in Take-Off and Landings in just about any platform of the game. I'm OK at Navigating, and I think that I have a pretty good concept of how-and-why an airframe stays in the air. If the target sets autopilot to on, and maintains a straight and level course, and does not move at all, then I'm a pretty good shot too!
I'm on a decent PC which I think is quite adequate for this Sim and I'm not concerned about keeping up. I use a joystick/throttle combination with plenty of buttons and switches for actions in my aircraft, and I use TrackIR. I do have TeamSpeak, but I've not used it in ages.
I'm a Second Shifter in Michigan, USA. I think I'm Zulu -4 depending on Daylight vs Standard Time. Sundays should not be a problem for me, and I'd look forward to the activity in fact. During the week, I normally get home around 0100, and after eating and cleaning up, am able to jump on for a while at least a day or two during the week. (I know that Second Shift is an odd shift)
I've had the privilege of being peppered pretty well by some wearing the FTC Tag, and I'd really like to kind of get into this. I'd love to learn some things, make some friends, have a cause and objective, and share the fun of this sim with others like minded. I would welcome any and all help, knowledge and critique.
Thanks,
Troy AKA jaquar
Dadnar
Junior Warrant Officer
Junior Warrant Officer

Re: Thank you for taking a look

Post by Dadnar »

Welcome to FTC Jaquar!

Your introduction was very entertaining and I could relate to much of it...unfortunately. Our campaign is from 17:45-21:00 UTC on most Sundays. Do you have a preference for Allied or Axis planes? Do you prefer fighters, ground attack or bombers?

Send me a PM here on the forums or via discord: https://discord.gg/th3wJDuseJ and we'll get you started.

Cheers,

Dadnar
JoLeTrembleur
Junior Warrant Officer
Junior Warrant Officer

Post by JoLeTrembleur »

Hey Jaquar, welcome :)
Snowy
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Snowy »

Hi Jaquar, welcome to FTC and The Raiders!
Our job is getting bombs on targets
Paddy
Major
Major

Post by Paddy »

Nice post Jaguar,

Always good to get the full flavour of a new pilot. Sounds like you’ll be able to peform sorties blindfolded!

You’ve come to the right outfit and you’ll find a right good bunch of fellas here.

If you want immersion, you’ll get it in spades here - we’ll soon have you landing in a sweat and wondering how you didnt do this sooner.

Paddy