Good Afternoon

Welcome to the Flying Tin Cans! Please post here if you are interested in joining us!
Prairie

Good Afternoon

Post by Prairie »

Hi Everyone,

I'm posting my introduction as I would like to join the FTC campaign.

While not new to Il-2 as a sim I am very new to flying MP and want to get into it to properly learn how to fly. The AI encourage bad habits in both their odd behavior and also predictability. I've tried using the SRS on Combat Box but haven't had much luck in connecting with others through that system. Instead, I'd love to get involved in the community and a active group such as the FTC. I am available consistently on Sunday for the campaign flights, but probably wouldn't be able to make many weekday flights because of the time difference and work sometimes bleeding into the evening.

VR is currently my main way of flying but I want to give Track IR a go because my spotting/identification is weak more than 1 or 2km out and the eye-strain discourages long flights without breaks. But other than that I have rudder pedals and a few peripherals, with a huge upgrade currently in the typical back-order limbo.

There is no preference for side. I play mostly the FW-190 in SP because I have a love for radial engines and not a lot of CEM, but I am getting my CEM bindings figured out and I'm not afraid of the allied birds. I'll just need a little coaching but I have the fundamentals down alright, I would love to learn more from a group!

Thanks,

Prairie
KingBob
Sergeant Pilot
Sergeant Pilot

Re: Good Afternoon

Post by KingBob »

Hello

Yeah the SP AI is pretty bad, once you figure it out, you can get like 60 kills haha. It is a whole different game flying with a group of people and it takes some getting used to. FTC has been doing more just fun flights throughout the week so you can fly with us other than the missions.

VR is normally not as competitive with flat screen due to spotting, but there are some guys in the group who can give you the secret settings to spot better.

The Spitfire Mk5 isn't too hard to fly, you just need a few more key bindings. There is also a sale going on right now so it is like $5. If you don't already have it and have the cash, pick up Normandy and definitely get Bodenplatte.

I see that you have joined the discord, we use team speak in FTC for flying so get that downloaded and the server info in it is:
Address: flyingtincans.com
PW: feenix
How many men have you killed?
Not men, fascists. 309
Lyudmila Pavlichenko
Prairie

Post by Prairie »

Hi KingBob,

Fortunately I already have all of the battles and also the Spitfire Mk5b. I can say for sure that taxiing, take-off, and landing are not something I have a experience with in the Spit. Some with the Typhoon, but still not a lot.

I just joined the team speak and am setting up some bindings and looking for the skins in HSD.

-Prairie
KingBob
Sergeant Pilot
Sergeant Pilot

Post by KingBob »

Well that is good you have all the planes, don't gotta worry about that. The Spit5 can be a bit tricky to taxi and take off/land, but it just takes a bit of practice. When taxiing, just use like 50% rpm and just enough power to move. Also be gentle with the rudder and brakes. When taking off, make sure your tail wheel is straight by inching forwards a bit and then raise the power up slowly. When landing, keep about 10% throttle when braking and bring up your flaps. If you don't keep 10% throttle, you won't have the rudder authority and you will probably spin out. I use the same techniques with the Typhoon/Tempest. The stupid Brits didn't add a tail wheel lock for some reason.
How many men have you killed?
Not men, fascists. 309
Lyudmila Pavlichenko
VietKong
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by VietKong »

Hello Prairie, I'd suggest asking some of the VR gurus here in FTC as they've juiced it as far as they could and some see further out than others that are on 2D.
Hope you settle in!